At last Thursday’s Open Hack, we had an impromptu going-away for Brigid, who’s been teaching and organizing events at the Hacktory for the past year, including our fantastic Intro to Arduino classes. She’s leaving Philadelphia for a few months, but we look forward to her triumphant return. We also had some folks shooting footage for a video we’re making about our artist-in-residence grant, as we’re considering a Kickstarter campaign. (If you want to be part of the video, on either side of the camera, leave a comment!) Aaron, a friend from NTR who lives in South Jersey, brought news of a burgeoning shop/hacker space there; folks across the river who would appreciate a place to build closer to home, stay tuned!
Sharp brought over strings of individually-addressable LEDs, which we’re planning to cut apart and build into a 16×10 grid to display in the window. We started by stripping off the plastic covers and testing how they chain together & blink in patterns. Rainbow-flavored success! Next, we’ll design an enclosure and work out a wiring diagram. We also finished moving all the Hacktory’s stuff out of storage; now we just need to take inventory and build some shelving for it. This week more chairs arrived, and we painted over some of the spackle. There’s still plenty to do before we officially open the Department of Making and Doing next month, but we are definitely making progress.
Knight Arts Challenge GrantDonate today to help us create a tech/arts apprenticeship program for artists. Your gift will be matched by the Knight Foundation, as part of the Knight Arts Challenge. Read all the details here.2000 of 40000 dollars
Support The Hacktory TodayAll donations are tax-deductible.
What Is The Hacktory?
Hack (def): to find a new (sometimes inelegant) solution to a problem
Factory (def): a place where products are made, or art like Andy Warhol's Factory
What's Up @The_Hacktory
- Just a reminder we are @FleisherArt for ARTspiration today, 7th and Catherine, NOT at 3711 Market for soft circuit Saturday2013/06/08 11:02
- Hey if you've been to our Hacking the Gender Gap workshop and found it useful add a note to help us win a grant!
- Artists! Scientists! Makers! Still a few tickets left for our *celebrated* Intro to Arduino class starting TONIGHT!
- Recap of our great Intro to Interactive Art class, includes link to a pirate pad with tons of links:
- “@colinangevine: At @The_Hacktory learning about interactive art. So far so awesome.”2013/05/22 21:16
- Just a reminder we are @FleisherArt for ARTspiration today, 7th and Catherine, NOT at 3711 Market for soft circuit Saturday