The Economist recently took note of the “maker” movement. In this recent article they describe the scene at the last Makerfaire NYC as currently in the realm of hobbyists, but that the larger movement is starting to have a notable impact. The article provides a good overview of the hardware makers are familiar with (the arduino, of course), as well as the software and online communities where users find support, which is the backbone of the movement.
Knight Arts Challenge GrantDonate today to help us create a tech/arts apprenticeship program for artists. Your gift will be matched by the Knight Foundation, as part of the Knight Arts Challenge. Read all the details here.2000 of 40000 dollars
Support The Hacktory TodayAll donations are tax-deductible.
What Is The Hacktory?
Hack (def): to find a new (sometimes inelegant) solution to a problem
Factory (def): a place where products are made, or art like Andy Warhol's Factory
What's Up @The_Hacktory
- Just a reminder we are @FleisherArt for ARTspiration today, 7th and Catherine, NOT at 3711 Market for soft circuit Saturday2013/06/08 11:02
- Hey if you've been to our Hacking the Gender Gap workshop and found it useful add a note to help us win a grant!
- Artists! Scientists! Makers! Still a few tickets left for our *celebrated* Intro to Arduino class starting TONIGHT!
- Recap of our great Intro to Interactive Art class, includes link to a pirate pad with tons of links:
- “@colinangevine: At @The_Hacktory learning about interactive art. So far so awesome.”2013/05/22 21:16
- Just a reminder we are @FleisherArt for ARTspiration today, 7th and Catherine, NOT at 3711 Market for soft circuit Saturday