There’s a growing discussion about the future of learning, and how hands-on learning, like what we do at The Hacktory, can be integrated in traditional learning environments. These traditional environments include schools, of course, but also libraries. I don’t know about you, but one of the things that I love the most about the U. S. of A. is our massive amount of libraries and public support for them. Last spring Make:Online published this piece asking, “What would happen if libraries were mashed up with hackerspaces/techshops?” Here’s another story in Gizmodo about a library in NYC doing just that – with 3D printers, CNC machines, and plans to get a laser cutter. This is all very exciting for us over here at The Hacktory, and just so you know, Philadelphia may be the next location to have this kind of space available to the public.
Knight Arts Challenge GrantDonate today to help us create a tech/arts apprenticeship program for artists. Your gift will be matched by the Knight Foundation, as part of the Knight Arts Challenge. Read all the details here.2000 of 40000 dollars
Support The Hacktory TodayAll donations are tax-deductible.
What Is The Hacktory?
Hack (def): to find a new (sometimes inelegant) solution to a problem
Factory (def): a place where products are made, or art like Andy Warhol's Factory
What's Up @The_Hacktory
- Just a reminder we are @FleisherArt for ARTspiration today, 7th and Catherine, NOT at 3711 Market for soft circuit Saturday2013/06/08 11:02
- Hey if you've been to our Hacking the Gender Gap workshop and found it useful add a note to help us win a grant!
- Artists! Scientists! Makers! Still a few tickets left for our *celebrated* Intro to Arduino class starting TONIGHT!
- Recap of our great Intro to Interactive Art class, includes link to a pirate pad with tons of links:
- “@colinangevine: At @The_Hacktory learning about interactive art. So far so awesome.”2013/05/22 21:16
- Just a reminder we are @FleisherArt for ARTspiration today, 7th and Catherine, NOT at 3711 Market for soft circuit Saturday