Found a great article to go with the last post about “hacking,” this one talks about how women are returning to the field of Computer Science, yep, that’s right, returning. Apparently back in the sixties, working with computers was portrayed as women’s work. Cosmopolitan featured a piece on “Computer Girls” that reassured the reader that programming is just like “planning a dinner.” The rate of women graduating from Computer Science programs has decreased in the past few decades, but it’s finally picking up again. “In the past year, the number of women majoring in Computer Science has nearly doubled at Harvard, rising from 13% to 25%.” Now that’s a great reason to plan a dinner (party)!
Knight Arts Challenge GrantDonate today to help us create a tech/arts apprenticeship program for artists. Your gift will be matched by the Knight Foundation, as part of the Knight Arts Challenge. Read all the details here.2000 of 40000 dollars
Support The Hacktory TodayAll donations are tax-deductible.
What Is The Hacktory?
Hack (def): to find a new (sometimes inelegant) solution to a problem
Factory (def): a place where products are made, or art like Andy Warhol's Factory
What's Up @The_Hacktory
- Just a reminder we are @FleisherArt for ARTspiration today, 7th and Catherine, NOT at 3711 Market for soft circuit Saturday2013/06/08 11:02
- Hey if you've been to our Hacking the Gender Gap workshop and found it useful add a note to help us win a grant!
- Artists! Scientists! Makers! Still a few tickets left for our *celebrated* Intro to Arduino class starting TONIGHT!
- Recap of our great Intro to Interactive Art class, includes link to a pirate pad with tons of links:
- “@colinangevine: At @The_Hacktory learning about interactive art. So far so awesome.”2013/05/22 21:16
- Just a reminder we are @FleisherArt for ARTspiration today, 7th and Catherine, NOT at 3711 Market for soft circuit Saturday